Excerpts from 1990 Faris Family Reunion Book...

     I was born 4 years after the turn of the century before electricity became common place.  For instance, I know what it is to use kerosene lamps to light the rooms at nightfall; we had no running water, so no indoor bathrooms.  To travel, we used horse and buggy or wagon.  There were no refrigerators, only an earthen cellar to try to preserve food and vegetables; no diswashers, automatic washers or dryers.  There were few phones, no radios, TV, VCRs or computers. 

     We had a reservoir on the stove near the firebox to heat the water we needed.  For entertainment we did have a windup phonograph with records, we played dominos and there were always a lot of running games for playing inside.  There were also a lot of chores to do:  we had to help our parents.  We had neighbor children to play with, tho they were over a mile away.  Did not have too many community functions.  Mostly family and close neighbors.

     The first school I went through was taught by a relative.  Sister, Zelma, and I lived with her during the week.  We were 6 & 8 years old.  School went from spring months into the fall.  When I was in the 5th grade, our dad gave an acre of land to the school board.  They built a school thre, so all us kids could go to school.  There was a teacherage there.  Later someone bought the school and moved the buildings off, then Dad got title of the property back.  (That was in the contract.)  Then after that we went to school in Benchland which was three miles away.  We walked across the fields except when the weather was too severe or the snow was too deep, then Dad would hitch up Prince and Button or Daisy and Dan and take us to school. 

     In high school, Dad rented a small house in Moccasin and we batched.  Dad would take Zelma and me over on Sunday afternoon and then come get us on Friday night.  I graduated from Moccasin High School.  The school had about two stories (8 rooms): one room was a very small library.  There were only about 7 seniors the year I graduated.  Afterwards, I attended Dillon Normal School for about 1.5 years.  Originally I'd start teaching after just one quarter of normal school.  But, since I really did not feel adequate to teach, I went back for more schooling.

     An important lesson I learned as a young person was to work for a living and to save for the future.  That saving has allowed my retirement years to be free of a lot of money concerns.